Ah, Odessa, The Pearl Near The Sea

Outstanding historical architecture, laughter, luxurious hotels, first-rate restaurants and clubs, sophistication, friendly atmosphere and magnificent sunny beaches – all of these is Odessa!

The largest merchant port in the Ukraine, Odessa, lies on a bay in the north-west corner of the Black Sea, between the Dnieper and the Dniester estuaries. It was founded by Catherina the Great in 1794, on the site of the ancient Greek colony of Odessos. The Greek colony was wiped off by Turkish Huns in the third and fourth centuries, and eleven centuries passed before people came to live here again. The trading town of Kachibei sprang up first, and was later turned by the Turks into the powerful fortress, Khajibei.

In 1789, the Turks stronghold fell to a Russian naval force under Captain Joseph de Ribas. De Ribas, a Catalan nobleman, won the Empress’s favour by distinguishing himself in Russian service. He proved his courage and military skills when he took part in the storming of Izmail, another Turkish fortress on the Danube – a picturesque account of which is given by Byron in Don Juan. Shortly afterward, in 1794, de Ribas had an idea of converting Khajibei into Russian naval base. Catherine’s new town and port, Odessa, was just established when de Ribas died in 1800. The main street in Odessa, Deribasovskaya, named after him.

At this time, following the French Revolution, Catherina the Great willingly accepted supporters of the French regime into Russian service and it was Armand Emmanuel du Plessis Duc de Richelieu, who in 1803 was appointed the first Governor-General of Odessa and the entire northern Black Sea coast, then called “New Russia”. A descendant of the famous Cardinal Richelieu of King Luis XII reign worked very hard developing the port during his twelve years in office. Ordinary houses began to be built of the local yellow “shell” limestone and the intensive quarrying that continued over the next century left a vast, entangled network of catacombs under the city, like those in Rome. During the World War II they gave shelter to partisan brigades which neither German or Rumanian forces were able to dislodge.

In 1815 the Duc de Richelieu returned to France. A monument of him, made in 1828 by Russian sculptor Ivan Martos, was erected in Odessa on Primorsky Boulevard overlooking Odessa’s harbour and 192 steps leading down to the sea. The Odessa steps are immortalized in Sergei Eisenstein’s classic film, The Battleship Potemkin, and called Potemkin steps.

Odessa’s heyday was under the third Governor, the Russian Anglophile Mikhail Vorontsov, in the years up to mid-nineteenth century, by which time the flourishing city rivalled other large cities of the Russian Empire, coming fourth after St. Petersburg, Moscow and Warsaw in wealth and population. A passenger steamship line was set up and the first newspaper, in both Russian and French, came out in 1827. Many of Odessa’s architectural features date to Vorontsov’s governorship period. Some of them are: the Potemkin steps, the Governor-General’s palace, the Stock Exchange and Naryshkina’s palace. Three years before he died in 1856, a monument was erected by the city to Vorontsov.

Although free port status had been abolished in 1849, Odessa continued to thrive. Its turnover was comparable to that of St. Petersburg, Russia’s main port, and banking – and smuggling – flourished. The nouveau riches displayed their wealth by beautifying Odessa: the new Stock Exchange (1889) and the Opera House (1887) were intended to surpass their European counterparts in splendour – particularly those in Vienna. Nothing was too good for Odessa: if a touring opera company was invited, it had to be the best that Italy could offer. Many famous artists performed on the stage since 1887, among them P. Tchaikovsky, N. Rimsky-Korsakov, S. Rachmaninoff, P. Sarasate, F. Chaliapin, S. Grushelnitskaya, A. Nezhdanova, L. Sobinov, T. Ruffo, Batistini, Jeraldoni, A. Pavlova, and many others. The Odessa National Academic Theatre of Opera and Ballet is the oldest theatre of the Ukraine. The most recent renovation of the theatre was successfully completed in 2007 with preservation of its neo-baroque style, luxurious hall in rococo style and unique acoustics.

In this wealthy city jewellery was very much in vogue and jewellers did a brisk trade. One of most crafty of them, Rukhomovsky, caused an uproar among art authority in Europe. In 1896, he offered the Vienna Museum what he claimed to be a golden tiara of the Scythian king, Saitafern, supposedly found among the ruins of the ancient Greek city of Olbia. The museum was saved from buying a fake only because of the prohibitive price demanded, but the tiara – after experts had declared it genuine – was bought in France for 200.000 francs. The truth came out in 1903. The tiara was transferred from the Louvre to the Museum of Decorative Art but soon returned to the Louvre, to be hidden away in one of its vaults.

In the Revolutionary years, 1910 – 1920s, a group of original young writers and poets emerged in Odessa, including Isaak Babel and Yuri Olesha, whose early, ironic works are now considered classics of Soviet literature. After the city’s suffering in the World War II, Odessa became a rather grimmer city and the emigrants of the 1970s transferred much of Odessa distinctive humour to Israel and New York – where there is now a “Little Odessa” on Brighton Beach. But the satirical tradition has not totally disappeared and some of the best Soviet satirical writers today are native of this sunny, friendly city with its fine harbour and splendid old streets.

From the beginning of nineteenth century, Odessa port attracted bold and enterprising people of all nationalities and Odessa became a lively mix of Greeks, Italians, Jews, Russians, sailors and visitors from all over the world. All contributed their specific brand of humour. Since 1972 Odessa hosting the venue for the annual international festival of comedy films and humour, Humorina, at which the winning entry is awarded with a small copy of the Duke’s statue. Many of ex-USSR generations, know Odessa Mama as the “capital of humour” for its own, Odessa, humour and distinctive local dialect, something that not many cities have. Odessa has been and always will be famous for its jokes.

Outstanding historical architecture, laughter, luxurious hotels, first-rate restaurants and clubs, sophistication, friendly atmosphere and magnificent sunny beaches – all of these is Odessa!

Jerusalem’s Best Hospitals

Jerusalem, the capital of Israel, lies in the Judean Mountains nestled between the Mediterranean Sea and the Dead Sea. Together with East Jerusalem it forms the largest city of the country. It is a great tourist attraction for religious and cultural reasons.

Bikur Cholim Hospital is situated in the heart of the city at the junction of Strauss and Hanevi’im, Jerusalem, 492. It was set up in 1826 and over the years it has emerged as one of the largest and most important hospitals of Israel. The branches of medicine for which the hospital offers treatment are surgery, pediatrics, ENT, internal medicine, obstetrics and gynecology, nephrology, neurology and urology. The hospital also has an Alternative Medicine Clinic, Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Baby Welfare Clinic and a Women’s Clinic. The emergency department at the hospital offers quality services to its patients and is also the largest emergency department in Israel.

The Shaare Zedek Medical Center located at Jaffa Road is a century old hospital that provides high quality medical care. The hospital started as a modest healthcare center with 20 beds and is now a modern hospital with state of art infrastructure. It is a multidisciplinary hospital of international repute which specializes in the following fields: cardiology, cardiothoracic surgery, women’s health, medical genetics, neonatology, pediatric neurology, oncology and palliative medicine, laparoscopic surgery and Gaucher’s Disease. The Emergency Department at the hospital is well equipped and this department includes the Kennedy Leigh Trauma & Resuscitation.

The ALYN Pediatric and Adolescent Rehabilitation Center was set up as a voluntary organization by Dr. Henry Keller, an American orthopedist in 1932.  The multidisciplinary hospital is dedicated to providing modern and advanced care to children. The hospital provides an array of medical and paramedical services that include physiotherapy, speech therapy, rehabilitation, cerebral palsy, acquired brain damage, respiratory disorders, and psychosocial problems. It is also is the leading pediatric orthopedic clinic in the country treating both simple and highly complex cases. 

The St John of Jerusalem Eye Hospital Group is part of the Foundation of The Order of St John which is the oldest charity in the world. This hospital is known for its high level of services and specialization in eye related ailments throughout the West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem. The hospital has an ISO accreditation and is staffed by well trained doctors and paramedical staff from within the country and from offshore countries as well. This modern hospital runs a 24 hours emergency room and also runs an outpatient department and treats patients regardless of their ability to pay. The hospital specializes in Retinal, Corneal and Pediatric services. The address and telephone number for the hospital are; Nashashibi Street, Sheikh Jarrah, Jerusalem 97200; Tel: 00 972 (0)2 5828325    

Hadassah’s Medical Organization has two medical centers at Jerusalem; one is at Ein-Karen and the other is at Mount Scopus. Both the hospitals have a large team of doctors and support staff which makes them ready to deal with all kinds of medical emergencies and routine procedures and care. The Hadassah is known for its proficient services and contemporary infrastructure. Both the centers are multidisciplinary and the medical branches for which they provide services are orthopedic surgery, neurosurgery, oncology, rehabilitation, dermatology, E.N.T, endocrinology, hematology, genetics and metabolic disease, bone marrow transplant and psychiatry. The hospitals are also outfitted with Emergency Rooms, Trauma Units, Pain Clinics and Blood Banks. The Emergency Department at Ein-Karen provides comprehensive and quick care to patients for a large range of medical problems and is supported by modern technology. The Mount Scopus Emergency Department receives a large number of patients each year owing to its highly specialized care especially in the neurological and cardiac surgery field.

Top Online Travel Companies (OTAs) In India – Know Them Better Before You Use Their Services

There are over 30 online travel companies in India excluding Airlines and other Hotels sites. Few of them specialize in a particular field. For the benefit of all visitors to India coming from around the world, the top ten sites, where you can book your India trip are as under –

Makemytrip.com – MakeMyTrip, India’s No 1 travel website, founded and promoted by Mr Deep Kalra, is the top website in the country for any travel related products and services. They offer airline tickets, hotels bookings, car rentals, holiday destinations, and even train bookings now on their website. Makemytrip caters to the US / Canada markets, Indian market and recently they have started makemytrip UAE as well. Makemytrip is now coming up with their firs IPO in USA and raising around $100 million. They got oversubscribed and raised around $800 million. Their office is based out of Gurgaon in India and they have over 700 employees. Their code specialisation is into holiday planning and booking, including inbound travellers. They are believed to be selling over 8000 tickets per day.

Yatra – Yatra is known to be the second best OTA travel website in the country. It has been promoted by Dhruv Shringi along with a couple of more guys, who served with eBookers before this venture. Yatra has been funded by some leading Indian Reliance group, TV 18 Group and NVP and recently got funding from Intel as well. They specialise in domestic flights. They are also based out of Gurgaon in India and have over 600 employees. They also book Car Rentals, Hotels, Holidays and Train bookings. Currently, it is expected that they are selling over 5000 tickets per day.

Cleartrip – Cleartrip was a new entrant in the Indian market around 3 years ago and they are known for their technology. As the name says, their technology is very clear and on their home page as well, you do not see any banners and pop ups. They were the first OTA to integrate with India’s Railway Reservation system called IRCTC. They are based out of Mumbai and have a smaller team as compared to Makemytrip or Yatra.

Expedia India – Expedia very recently entered Indian travel space and they are currently focusing on their hotels business. They are yet to integrate LCCs (Low Cost Carrers) such as GoAir, GoIndigo, JetLite, Kingfisher Red etc into their portfolio. But it is sure that in a year’s time, they will be leading the Indian market.

Travelocity India – Travelocity is yet again a new entrant in the Indian market and they are progressing fast. They bought another hotel OTA called Travelguru recently. They are being controlled from Singapore.

Top 10 Leisure Travel Gadgets of the Year 2011

Headed to an escape this summer? Whether you’re making your way by plane, train, automobile, or even your own two feet, no trip is complete today without digital accessories.Traveling for business, pleasure or both, travel accessories aim to make travel less tiring and more enjoyable. Travelers likely think they already have the best travel accessories and gadgets to make their trips easier and bide their time until they get to their destinations, but stylish and useful travel accessories are coming out all the time. From electronic gadgets to compact luggage, the right travel accessories can make a travel, a flight and the time spent in airports much more bearable. Get around in style and with ease, here is some sidekick to help make the journey memorable.

Best Travel Gadgets of the Year 2011

Motorola Xoom – With Google’s next generation of Android, Motorola’s knack for great hardware, and Verizon’s promise of 4G network compatibility, the Xoom tablet technically offers a more powerful, more capable substitute to Apple’s iPad. Sporting a 10.1-inch screen, front and rear cameras, HDMI output, a dual-core processor, Google’s Honeycomb Platform, and 1080p HD Video Content Support, the Xoom tablet wars with guns blazing. Motorola XOOM redefines the tablet device category by providing more ways to have fun, hook up with friends and stay productive on the go. It allows the clients to experience HD content right on the device, supports 1080p HD video and HDMI output to display content on larger HD screens, and plays video and other rich web content seamlessly with Adobe® Flash® Player. Motorola XOOM features a front-facing 2-megapixel camera for video chats over Wi-Fi or 3G/4G LTE, in addition to a rear-facing 5-megapixel camera that captures video in 720p HD.

BlackBerry PlayBook – It is a tablet device that supports web browsing Flash Player 10.1 and HTML5 for browse graphics and animation. The Blackberry PlayBook is equipped with a 7-inch multitouch screen, a 1GHz dual-core CPU -as the fastest tablet ever, 1GB of RAM: and 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB of storage, 3 mega pixel camera on the front as well as there being a 5 mega pixel camera on the back, which will enable video – conferencing. The Blackberry PlayBook is equipped with a 7-inch multitouch screen; a 1GHz dual-core CPU; 1GB of RAM; and 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB of storage. This device has two HD cameras along with high-quality speakers and a mini-HDMI port. Blackberry Playbook also allows multi-tasking.

Panasonic S10 – In the world of computing, only the Panasonic S-series provide you an all-day, on-the-go, AC adapter-free, desktop power, solution in ruggedized chassis–all from 2.49 lbs. Panasonic S10 is the advanced Camcorder for a terrific photography experience. Camcorders are too big to compete with pocket cameras, and cameras too small to hold the storage requirements of video. The Panasonic SDR S10 is ultimate for shooting portrait, sports, surf & snow, color night view, low light and spot light. The user friendly options put in to the appeal of the Panasonic SDR S10.

Chevrolet Volt – Chevrolet Volt is the 2011 ‘World Green Car’. It is a plug-in four-door hybrid hatchback that seats four passengers. It is been voted as the most fuel-efficient car. Volt is more responsive and substantial than any other hybrids. Good braking and brake pedal run smoothly as a conventional set and regenerative braking. Volt also has a tremendous get-up-and-go for hybrids, mainly when fully charged. The interior of the Volt likely will be ranked very high. Interior features comprise dual-zone climate control, backup camera, USB port, OnStar, Bluetooth, cruise control, heated front seats, leather upholstery, leather-wrapped steering wheel, and stereo CD. A hard-drive navigation system is also available as an option. Standard equipment safety car the Chevrolet, include stability control, front airbags, side airbags full-length curtains, OnStar telecommunications service, and anti-lock brakes.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH27K, HP Pavilion dm1z,Flip MinoHD, V-Moda Vibrato, Able Planet Clear Harmony NC1100b,GPS: Magellan eXplorist 710, E-Reader: Amazon Kindle, Samsung 9 Series, MacBook Air 11-Inch, External Battery: Mophie Juice Pack Air, Bluetooth Headset: Jawbone Era, Motorola Atrix 4G, Apple iPhone 4, BlackBerry Bold, Canon Powershot D10, Casio EX-H20G,Nikon D3100, Olympus Pen E-PL2,Tablet: Apple iPad 2 are the other trendy leisure gadgets for gizmo freaks.

Leisure wings India pvt ltd is a full service travel management company whose business philosophy is based on superior quality service, Innovative approach and total client satisfaction, Leisure Wings outstanding success is firmly rooted in its total commitment to providing innovative travel services and the highest quality customer relation keeping in view total satisfaction and superb value for money for its customers.

Good Hospitals in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

Addis Ababa is the capital of Ethiopia and it is a major trade, commercial and industrial center. The African Union and United Nations Economic Commission for Africa are headquartered in this large city. It has several tourist attractions, offers many luxury services and is often referred to as ‘the spa capital’ of Africa.

In general, the medical services of Addis Ababa are underdeveloped. Though there are a number of hospitals in the city, most of them lack required facilities and only a select few are able to deliver good medical services.

Leading Hospitals in Addis Ababa

Saint Gabriel General Hospital is a major hospital in Ethiopia. This health care center, with full-fledged outpatient and inpatient departments, is well known for the services of eminent physicians and a dedicated nursing staff. This modern medical center came into existence in 1995 and has introduced many technological innovations to the nation. It has acquired the Century International Quality Award and provides effective clinical and diagnostic services in all main specialties of medicine. The cardiology department has equipment to conduct stress tests, echocardiography and pacemaker implantations. Modern departments for dental care, physiotherapy, and psychiatry are available for patients. The up-to-date surgery department has units in basic specialties and is well known for laparoscopy. With a well-equipped laboratory and radiology department, the hospital offers services to about 21,000 persons annually. Saint Gabriel General Hospital offers healthcare for staff of companies and organizations and has services with English-speaking staff for foreign communities. The emergency center is well equipped with an ambulance and medical evacuation facilities. Warm accommodations are offered in spacious private rooms equipped with modern amenities. Facilities like pharmacy, gift, flower and mother and childcare shops and restaurant are also available. Saint Gabriel General Hospital is a major center for medical training and research in the country. The hospital is currently undergoing an expansion programs. Telephone: 251-1- 62-14-22

Myungsung Christian Medical Center is located at Kebele 11, Addis Ababa is another well-known hospital in the city. The Myungsung Presbyterian Church of Korea founded this modern hospital in 2004. This center is on a 90,000-meter square compound and is better known as the Korean Hospital. It was built in memory of the Ethiopian soldiers who fought in the Korean War. The patient-centered hospital provides some well-known physicians and good health care services in all major areas of medicine at an affordable price. Myungsung Christian Medical Center pioneered neurosurgery and many other surgical procedures in Ethiopia. It provides a 24-hours emergency service unit, laboratories and radiology department. The hospital is an important center for medical training, particularly in surgical procedures. It currently is conducting a $10 million expansion project. Telephone: 629 5421

Swedish Medical Clinic is a notable hospital and is located at W21-k5-House #453 in Addis Ababa. The Swedish government founded this medical facility in 1967 under an agreement with the Ethiopian government. Effective health care services to expatriates and visitors are provided by this clinic at European standards. InDevelop, a Swedish consultancy group, is currently managing this medical facility. The hospital has many experienced foreign physicians who speak various languages, including English. It delivers good care in all major medical areas. The clinic conducts several vaccination programs for children as well as antenatal check-ups. Swedish Medical Clinic cooperates with many well-known hospitals and insurance companies in foreign countries and refers patients, if required, to foreign hospitals. Its pharmacy stocks many quality drugs and vaccines from abroad. The laboratory is well supplied to conduct various tests and the emergency department is suited to attend to critical medical emergencies. If needed, medical evacuation is also available. Telephone: 171 9002

Keswick – A Few Ideas

Keswick is awash with activities you can do straight from your front door. Come rain or shine there are an abundance of things to keep you occupied whether it be indoor or outdoor. The choice is yours but here are just a few ideas.

George Fishers

Although not the cheapest outdoor shop in Keswick, it certainly prides itself on knowledgeable staff and excellent customer service. It’s an experience just browsing the floors of clothing and equipment. Up in the rafters you will find the lovely Abraham’s Tea Room named after the famous Abraham brothers who originally owned the entire premises as their photographic shop. Around the shop you can see memorabilia and photographs from their era. Fishers offer an expert boot fitting service and you may also hire boots for fell walking.

Keswick Launch

A short walk from the town centre takes you to the lakeshore where you can sit on the newly installed benches and admire the view across the lake. This is also the main landing point for the Keswick Launch, a 50 minute boat trip around the lake. Choose to stay on for the full 50 minutes and admire the beautiful views or hop on and off as many times as you like at any of the 7 landing stages around the lake. There are several Keswick cottages in the area which will only enhance your visit should you choose to stay at one.

Walking!

Keswick Rambles offer a selection of walks to suit different abilities every day during the summer. Outside peak season times of March till October it is best to check their website or ring ahead first. Setting off from the Moot Hall each morning, you are in safe hands with expert leaders who know every inch of the fells.

Fun on the Lake

There are four islands on Derwent water, one of which has a house and private boat landing. Enter into the spirit of Swallows and Amazons and take a boat and picnic out to any of the three smaller islands and make your own adventure. The islands are wooded, with sandy bays, ideal for den building or just admiring the view from a different perspective.

Java

A great spot for coffee. In the summer you can sit outside in the market square and people watch. Or bag the sofas inside to enjoy something from the chocolate fountain!

Ye Olde Friars Sweet Shop

Covering two floors and nearly a thousand different confectionery products, Friars has been in the same family since 1927. There is a floor to ceiling selection of Jelly Beans of offer, Lake District specialty fudge, handcrafted chocolates and various quirky edible gifts and sets.

Fitz Park Play Area

The play area opened in 2010 designed and cleverly divided up for a variety of ages. There are picnic benches inside and out of the perimeter fence and the play area is gated for peace of mind.

Keswick Leisure Pool

The swimming pool is well set up for family fun with its giant slide and plunge pool. There is a wide shallow end ideal for smaller ones and non swimmers, tapering into a deep but not too deep end complete with wave machine.

Bike Hire

Mountain biking in the Lake District has grown as an adventure sport .

The leisure pool is one of several places in Keswick where you can hire a bike and the ride along the old railway line is ideal for beginners and families. For the more adventurous try Keswick Mountain Bikes or the Cyclewise centre in Whinlatter Forest. KMB offer a multi day hire service and can recommend route and provide laminated route cards. Cyclewise is an award-winning centre for all things mountain biking situated almost on the start of the Red and Blue graded trails.

Climbing Wall

A rainy day need not prevent you from getting out on the fells to walk or climb.

The newly situated climbing wall has climbs for all abilities, offers lessons to master the basics and a large bouldering area with crash pads. The climbing wall is only a few minutes from Castlerigg Stone Circle and the two can easily be combined. The climbing centre has over 40 top rope climbs. Popular lessons start from £10 including tuition for parents on how to hold ropes whilst children climb.

Castlerigg Stone Circle

The megalithic circle at Castlerigg is thought to be one of the earliest examples in Europe. As a popular tourist attraction, you could visit any day of the summer holidays and share it with countless others. But my recommendation is to come back later and catch the last rays of the setting sun. Not only will you take some really spectacular photos but also the circle will be deserted and you can fully appreciate what a magical place it is.

With Keswick being such a hub of activity staying in one of the many Lake District cottages in the area seems like a no brainer. It makes it much easier to get out and about.

A Tourist Guide to Lake George, Adirondacks

INTRODUCTION

Like a blue diamond, which shimmers and shakes with the invisible hands of the wind, Lake George, some 200 miles north of Manhattan, is nestled in a bed of green crushed velvet officially designated the Adirondack Mountains. As a destination, it can be considered a jewel.

One of eleven New York State tourist regions-including Long Island, New York City, the Hudson Valley, the Catskill Mountains, the Capital District, Central-Leatherstocking, the Thousand Islands, the Finger Lakes, Greater Niagara, and Chautauqua-Allegheny-the Adirondacks themselves are part of the Great Cambrian Shield. Composed of Precambrian igneous and metamorphic rock that was thrust upward some ten million years ago, it was once the hunting grounds of the Iroquois and Algonquin Native Americans.

In order to protect its wildlife and preclude depleting forestation, however, the State of New York created the six million acre Adirondack Park-2.6 of which are federally owned and 3.4 of which are privately owned-in 1892, and two years later the Adirondack Forest Preserve was established, a constitutionally protected Forever Wild Area for the purpose of “preserving (its) exceptional scenic, recreational, and ecological value.”

Measuring 9,375 square miles, it is today a refuge of vast, silent forests, 46 rugged, green-carpeted peaks-of which 5,343-foot Mount Marcy is both the highest in the park and in all of New York State-3,000 gleaming lakes, and 30,000 miles of rushing rivers and streams. Containing the headwaters of the Hudson River, Lake Champlain, the Black River, the St. Lawrence River, and the Mohawk River, it offers abundant, nature-based activities, from hunting, fishing, skiing, hiking, and camping to mountain biking, and attracts more than ten million annual visitors. It is the largest park preserve in the United States.

“In the mid-1800s, the Adirondacks were an undiscovered natural treasure,” according to the “Visit the Lake George Area in New York’s Adirondacks” guide (p. 1). “Hidden peaks with mirror surfaces are teamed with native rainbow trout. White-tailed deer roamed the shores of silent waterways. Towering mountains stocked with ridgelines climaxed at stunning panoramas of the wooded landscape below. Boundless forests of sugar maples and American beech trees stretched as far as the eye could see, painting the autumn hills and valleys a medley of deep oranges and flaming reds. Lake George was the glistening jewel in the treasure chest that is the Adirondacks.”

LAKE GEORGE VILLAGE

Having been designated by three names, Lake George began as “Andia-ta-roc-te,” so-called by Native Americans; progressed to “Lac du Saint Sacrement,” or “Lake of the Blessed Sacrament,” a title bestowed by Father Isaac Jogues, the first white main to have seen it in 1646; and ended with the current “Lake George.”

Although the area’s pristine nature would suggest serenity, its early history was marked by conflict, as evidenced by the three forts, including Gage, George, and William Henry, that once rose from the shores and were integral to the French and Indian War.

Revolutionary War activity also played out there. In May of 1775, Ethan Allen and 83 of his Green Mountain Boys captured Fort Ticonderoga, 32 miles to the north, without releasing a single bullet from their muskets, capturing it from the British. Lake George served as a strategic waterway during the war for the next eight years.

During the winter of 1775 to 1776, Lieutenant Colonel Henry Knox transported artillery from Bolton to Fort Ticonderoga via oxen for ultimate use by George Washington in defense of the British in Boston.

The following year, British General Burgoyne traveled southward from Lake Champlain and then through Lake George with his entourage and supplies, culminating in defeat in Saratoga. Other historically significant figures also frequented the area: in April of 1776. Benjamin Franklin and Philip Schuyler passed through Bolton’s waters while journeying northward to the military situation in Canada, and seven years later General George Washington visited the head of the lake during his own post-Revolution inspection. Thomas Jefferson, exploring the area in 1791, paused to express its pristine quality when he wrote that the lake was “the most beautiful water I ever saw” in a letter to his daughter.

Formed after combining Queensbury, Bolton, and Thurman on August 2, 1810, the 32-mile Lake George is Warren County’s smallest town.

While the early-1800s were characterized by lumbering, as once evidenced by the proliferation of sawmills, its beauty, coupled with the lake’s steamboats, began attracting tourists, and wealth, like a physical language, expressed itself through the increasing number of homes and mansions rising from the eastern shore.

By mid-century, stores, schools, restaurants, and court houses assembled into a cohesive town, and access via the New York State Thruway (I-87) became the final infrastructural aspect that ensured its vacation destination transformation, particularly during the summer months.

Today, Lake George Village, with its single main artery locally called “Canada Street” (Route 9) and accessibility via Thruway exits 21, 22, and 23, serves as the southern base for Lake George residents and tourists alike with its services-shops, ice cream parlors, restaurants, banks, libraries, and an historical association. For young travelers, there are arcades, fun parks, haunted houses, and the House of Frankenstein Wax Museum.

LAKE GEORGE ACCOMMODATION

Accommodation in Lake George takes many forms, from the known, such as the Best Western, the Holiday Inn, the Quality Inn, the Hampton Inn, and a significantly sized Courtyard by Marriott, to the long-established properties comprising Motel Row at the north end of Canada Street. Since it divides into Routes 9L and 9N, the latter, because it hugs the lake, continues to feature cabins, cottages, and complexes for a considerable distance as it winds its way to Bolton.

Of particular significance is the Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center on the lake’s southern basin. Historical staple of the area whose roots were planted more than a century and a half ago, and now in its third rendition guise, it had originally been propped on a bluff overlooking the southernmost portion of the then-named Village of Caldwell. To its basic, three-story structure, which stretched 115 feet on either side and protruded 235 feet to the lake, were added two additional floors with a tower on either side, almost tripling its capacity from 350 to 900 guests. Turn-of-the-century modernization took the form of private bathrooms.

Although a June 24, 1909 fire consumed the property, it once again rose from the ashes two years later when new owner Delaware and Hudson Railroad opened a smaller, but just as lavish facility, accommodating 150 on three floors. Externally it sported white stucco and red tile roofs.

1912 marked the first year that it remained open throughout the winter and toward that end activity centered on skiing, skating, and sledding. Yet the Great Depression, not conflagration, proved its enemy a second time and the railroad divested itself of it.

The Fort William Henry Corporation, founded in 1952 to resurrect the property and construct a replica of the original one, along with changing tourist profiles, obviated its purpose by 1969, prompting its demolition and leaving, at least on a temporary basis, the Fort William Henry Motor Inn.

Yet history, as has been proven on countless occasions, often repeats itself and the dynamic became reality here. Employing the original 1911 footprint and incorporating many of its design features, a new five-story, all-suite hotel, attracting the higher revenue business sector, was constructed, opening on July 18, 2004. Located on 18 acres and offering luxury accommodations in the main hotel, medium-range rooms in its Premium East Wing, and budget ones in its Standard West one, it offers numerous facilities: a fireplace and gift shop-equipped lobby, the White Lion Restaurant for breakfast, the Tankard Tavern, and the Lookout Café, and close proximity to attracts such as the Fort William Henry Museum, Battlefield Park, and the Lake George Steamboat Company.

LAKE GEORGE VILLAGE ATTRACTIONS

Because of the village’s compact nature, all of its attractions, which are historically-based, are within walking distance of one another.

Lake George Visitor Center:

Located on the corner of Canada Street and Beach Road, the Lake George Visitor Center offers a supply of brochures and maps, and an area diorama. Staffed, it affords tourists an opportunity to speak with representatives to facilitate trip planning and provide recommendations.

Lake George Historical Association and Museum:

Located on the corner of Canada and Amherst Streets in Lake George Village, the Lake George Historical Association and Museum is housed in the three-floor, 1845 Warren County Court House and its first act of preservation was to save, from demolition, its very housing.

“The museum is a popular attraction and provides a means of discovery to the rich past of this historical region,” it advises.

Of its many exhibits, the basement located jail cells, dating from the court house’s 1845 construction, area shipwrecks, and photographs of earlier, lake-plying steamboats are significant.

Fort William Henry Museum:

Both historically significant and symbolic is the red, log-formed Fort William Henry Museum, which, in original form, played a role in the French and Indian War. The conflict, an extension of the Seven Years War between France and England, was ultimately transferred to North American soil.

Wrestling for land dominance, the English built Fort Edward, considered “The Great Carrying Place” and the third-largest settlement after those in Philadelphia and New York, while the French planted their own roots north of the St. Lawrence River in areas that would later become the states of Pennsylvania and Ohio.

Yet sparks, when ignited between two sides, have a way of closing the distance between them, and this occurred when the French commenced construction of Fort Carillon on the southern tip of Lake Champlain in what would eventually become New York State. The physics principle of “every action has an equal and opposite reaction” is perhaps more applicable here, because the British “reacted” with a fortification of their own-specifically, Fort William Henry at the southern tip of the still-designated Lac du Saint Sacrement, so that they could protect their own colonies. As a staging point against French entrenchments, it additionally served as protection of the inland waters between New York and Montreal.

The fort itself, ordered by Major General William Johnson and tasked to his chief engineer, Captain William Eyre, was designed in the Vauban style-that is, rectangularly configured with corner bastions and 30-foot curtain walls initially consisting of log facings and earthen fillings. It was externally surrounded by three dry moats and a fourth side that sloped toward the lake. Capacity was between 400 and 500.

Christened “Fort William Henry” to honor the two royal grandsons of King George II, it was intended to protect British interests to the south and serve as a military launching point against the French and their Native American allies to the north.

Enemy siege, under General Marquis de Montcalm and comprised of 3,000 French regulars, 3,000 militia, and 2,000 Native Americans, occurred on August 3, 1757, as their progressively tightening lines began to choke the fort. Numerically disadvantaged, Lieutenant Colonel George Monro, its commander, sent couriers to Fort Edward to request reinforcements, but Major General Daniel Webb considered the route too dangerous for his soldiers and “kept them home.”

Consistent hammering, artillery depletion, and structural damage predictably forced Monro to surrender six days later, yet the Articles of Capitulation, the title of Montcalm’s surrender terms, were both humane and generous: the British troops were permitted to retain all their possessions and weapons, sans ammunition; the garrison could leave with one cannon; and they agreed that attacks against the French would be suspended for an 18-month interval. The French regulars marched the British to Fort Edward the following day.

But ironically, the “enemy” proved, in many ways, to be the silent, uncompensated third party Native Americans, who gained nothing from their participation and hence took matters into their own hands.

Anger, expressing itself through the shooting, scalping, and bludgeoning of the wounded and sick who had been left behind, culminated in the snatch of guns, clothing, and implements, and the Fort Edward marching column was attacked by marauding Indians. Because of both language and customs barriers between Montcalm and his local allies, he was unable to thwart their efforts or adequately retaliate.

Nevertheless, he ordered Fort William Henry to be burned to the ground on August 11.

Occupying its original footprint, a replica, based upon the original British plans, was built in 1955, or 198 years after the actual fortification was destroyed by flame. Today, the visitor can catch a glimpse into British solider life in the area through its barracks and bastions, casemates, emergency hospital, guard room, sutlery, Monro’s quarters, 18th-century food and frontier exhibits, powder magazines, and tailor shops. A military crypt, an 18-pound cannon recovered from the lake, and the original well from 1756 are located in the courtyard.

“Hear the report of musket fire and the roar of the cannon as you step back in time to 1757 at Fort William Henry,” the museum proclaims. “Listen to stories and see artifacts from the daily life of this British outpost in the wilderness, defending the colonies during the French and Indian War.”

Across the fort and fronting the lake is a life-size wooden sculpture made by Master Wood Carver Paul Stark of Lieutenant Colonel Robert Rogers in a canoe, highlighting the area’s history.

Battlefield Park:

Located at the southern end of Lake George, 35-acre Battlefield Park marks the area where engagements between Algonquin and Iroquois tribes and American Colonists and British soldiers occurred. Aside from the remnants of Fort George, there are three significant statues.

In the first, dedicated to the region’s Native Americans, a North American is depicted dipping his hand into a pool of water. In the second, King Hendrick, a Mohawk chief, demonstrates the danger of dividing his forces to General William Johnson. And in the third, Father Isaac Jogues represents his attempt to spread Christianity to the Huron Indians during the 1630s and 1640s.

Delaware and Hudson Railway Station:

Although now only housing the Steamboat Gift Shop, the Delaware and Hudson Railway Station, located across from the Lake George Steamboat Company and constructed between 1909 and 1911 in the Revival style with a stucco frame, a stressed brick tower, and a terra cotta upper section, is symbolic of the role it once played in the area.

Transportation between New York City and Montreal had initially consisted of waterway travel-in this case, those waterways consisted of the Hudson River, Lake George, and Lake Champlain-yet a more direct route, resulting in shorter travel times, was attainable with land-based methods, specifically track-plying trains.

While it had its origins in the Saratoga-Fort Edward Rail Road chartered in 1832, the line, which never materialized, was replaced by the Saratoga and Washington Rail Road Company that was formed 16 years later and transported passengers between Saratoga Springs and Whitehall. Freight was carried as of 1851.

After ownership changes, resulting in the Saratoga-Whitehall Railroad Company in 1855 and the Rennselaer-Saratoga Railroad in 1856, the Glens Falls Railroad line opened in 1869 and was extended to Lake George in 1882. When the Delaware and Hudson assumed control, it made intermodal transportation possible by connecting with the Lake George Steamboat Company’s vessels for continued carriage to Ticonderoga.

The railroad station, as testament to it today, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2013.

LAKE GEORGE

Lake George, considered the Queen of American Lakes, is the glittering centerpiece of the area.

Formed between 10,000 and 12,000 years ago, it is 32 miles long, three miles wide, 200 feet deep, 320 feet above sea level, has 108 miles of shoreline, occupies a 233-square-mile area, has 183 islands, and its surrounded by 2,665-foot Black Mountain, its highest peak. Beyond Bolton Landing, it divides into Northwest Bay and the Narrows.

Three southern-end engagements between British and French forces in the Battle of Lake George resulted in the first major victory of the former over the latter. Yet the blood of yesterday’s wars was transformed into the beauty of today’s topography.

“Lake George is without comparison the most beautiful water I ever saw,” Thomas Jefferson once wrote. “Formed by a contour of mountains into a basin 35 miles long and from two to four miles broad, finely interspersed with islands, its water limpid as crystal, and the mountainsides covered with rich groves of silver fir, white pine, aspen, and paper birch down to the water; here and there precipices of rock to checker the scene and save it from monotony. An abundance of speckled trout, salmon trout, bass, and other fish with which it is stored have added to our amusements the sport of taking them.”

Aside from its recreational activities, which encompass swimming, fishing, and parasailing, there are several cruises that cover a portion, or all of, the lake.

“Lake George is beautiful to behold from any vantage point, but to realize her true majesty in all its forms, there’s nothing like gliding along the shimmering surface of this ‘Queen of American lakes,'” advises Paul Tackett in his article “Giants of the Lake” (“Visit the Lake George Area in New York’s Adirondacks,” Warren County Tourism Department, p. 24). “… Any one of several spectacular cruise ships stands ready to escort passengers through the Lake George experience of a lifetime.”

“Spend an hour or enjoy an unforgettable day aboard one of the magnificent vessels that ply the crystal clear waters of Lake George… ,” he continues (ibid, p. 24). “The captain discusses the colorful history of Lake George while guests gaze upon the same shoreline and forested mountains that inspired George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, and James Fennimore Cooper.”

Two companies offer a variety of excursions and both are located at the southern end on Beach Road.

Lake George Shoreline Cruises, the first, has two boats in its fleet: The 115-foot, tri-deck, 400-passenger “Adirondac,” constructed in 2004 and modeled after the late-19th century touring ships; and the 85-foot, dual-deck, 150-passenger “Horicon,” which was built almost exclusively of mahogany, teak, and yellow pine in 1988.

The company has its own Shoreline Restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating overlooking the lake.

The second cruise concern, the Lake George Steamboat Company, was instrumental in the area’s transportation history and hails from more than two centuries ago.

Because of the success of steamboat services on northerly neighboring Lake Champlain, the Lake George Steam Boat Company planted its own aquatic roots on April 15, 1817 after the New York State Legislature approved commercial shipping on it.

The canal boat-resembling “James Caldwell,” powered by a third-hand engine and sporting two long boilers and a brick smokestack, constituted its first vessel, which commenced service that year, and required a full day to traverse the lake’s length. But the inauspicious beginning to the service had a mysterious ending: it was inexplicably consumed by flame four years later while moored at his berth.

It was quickly succeeded by three other boats: the 100-foot-long, six-mph “Mountaineer” in 1824, a side-wheeler; the 140-foot-long, 13-mph “William Caldwell” in 1838; and the 145-foot-long, 13-mph “John Jay” in 1850. In 1857, the 400-passenger, wood-burning “Minne-Ha-Ha” joined the fleet.

As subsequent owner, for 72 years between 1871 and 1943, of the Lake George Steam Boat Company, the Delaware and Hudson Railway built some of the finest side-wheeler steam vessels used in its track-and-water intermodal transportation system, particularly the 223-foot, 20-mph “Sagamore” and the 230-foot, 21-mph “Horicon II.”

A post-World War II ownership change to Captain Wilbur Dow in November of 1945 preceded the company’s resurrection, which entailed the addition of the “Mohican” two years later, the “Ticonderoga” in 1950, and the construction of the present Steel Pier on Beach Road.

Three boats constitute its fleet today.

The “Lac du Saint Sacrement,” its flagship, was specifically designed for large groups and conventions. Stretching 189.6 feet and accommodating 1,149 on four decks, it was christened on June 15, 1989 and has a top, 18-mph speed.

The “Minne-Ha-Ha,” whose name was given to the wife of Hiawatha and means “laughing waters,” is one of the last steam-powered paddle wheelers and resembles the Mississippi River boats. Lengthened in 1998, it now stretches 137 feet and carries 500 passengers on three decks.

The “Mohican,” the third vessel in the fleet, was built in 1908 and is thus the oldest continuously operating tour boat in the country, listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Converted from steam to diesel in 1946, it is 117 feet long, accommodates 350 on three decks, and cruises at 15 mph.

Both the Lake George Shoreline Cruises and the Lake George Steamboat Company operate a variety of cruises, from the lakefront to Paradise Bay, Islands of the Narrows, and full-length ones to Ticonderoga, with an equal number of dining options: self-purchase snack bar and grill items, afternoon lunch and evening dinner cruises with entertainment, St. Louis rib Mondays, Taco Tuesdays, mac ‘n cheese Wednesdays, Pizza Thursdays, Fiesta Fridays, and Prime Rib Sundays.

“For that one-of-a-kind cruise adventure,” concludes Tackett (ibid, p. 25), “step aboard any one of these gleaming white marvels and kick back awhile. As the sounds of Lake George Village fade, the ship becomes a world unto itself: the playful breeze rolls over the passengers as the sun warms them, body and soul.”

Article Sources:

Tackett, Paul. “Giants of the Lake.” “Visit the Lake George Area in New York’s Adirondacks.” Warren County Tourism Department, 2019.

Finding the Best Hospitals in Bogota, Colombia

Bogotá is the capital and most populous city of Colombia, a major country in Latin America. As the 30th largest city in the world, Bogotá features many green parks, famous landmarks and amusement parks. The city is a major tourist destination and is one of the major industrial centers in Latin America. There are many good hospitals and eminent doctors in Bogotá. Some of the leading hospitals offer health care that is compatible with global standards. These centers have a much greater nurse to patient ratio than most and provide warm accommodation in a friendly environment.

The Hospital Universitario San Ignacio (HUSI) situated at Carrera 7 No. 40-62, Bogota is a premier health care facility with wide in country recognition. The Ministry of Social Protection and the National University recently announced that this hospital is among the top three Colombian hospitals. This 304 bedded four level hospital has a 22 bed pediatrics ward, ten operating rooms and two delivery rooms. The HUSI offers the best medical and surgical service for a variety of specialties and subspecialties. The departments of radiology, nuclear medicine, ultrasound and plastic are fully equipped. The hospital has sophisticated CT scans and magnetic resonance imaging. The emergency department and intensive care units are adequately furnished for intensive care patients, children and infants. The internationally reputed center for oncology treatment and research: The Javeriana Oncology Center is a part of the Hospital Universitario San Ignacio. HUSI is a major teaching school in the country and more than 80% of the staff doctors are bilingual. It has special section for international patients with English speaking staff and offers comfortable accommodation in 17 suite rooms. Contact: +57 316-466-0399

Hospital Fundacion Santa Fe de Bogota located at Calle 119 No. 7 – 75. Bogotá is an important hospital with state-of-the-art facilities. This service-oriented hospital was established in 1983 by the famous non-profit health care organization, Fundación Santa Fe de Bogotá. It is a private University Hospital with 13 departments, 6 advisory committees and 2 institutes. The hospital employs 1,500 staff and imparts health care to about 150,000 clients every year. The hospital employs outstanding doctors and has full-fledged departments in all branches of medicine. The surgery department has units in cardiovascular surgery, hepatobiliary and neurosurgery. The operating rooms all have facilities for laparoscopy, microsurgery, laser surgery, argon coagulation, auto transfusion, extracorporeal circulation and laminar flow systems. This hospital exhibits the lowest surgical site infection rates in Colombia. The hospital possesses all newest technological devices including Philips IE 33 scanner to display 2D, 3D and 4D images, the SPECT-CT Gamma Chamber for sophisticated tests, the Clinac iX with modular radiotherapy for cancer therapy, and the PET/CT and holmium laser for minimally invasive treatments. The hospital has modern ICUs, emergency department and various laboratories. Phone: (571) 6030303

Clínica El Bosque located at Calle 134 No. 12 – 55; northern Bogota DC is another popular hospital in the city. A group of eminent doctors established this hospital in 1977. The hospital currently offers complete and cost effective medical service in all major medical specialties. Its well known surgery department features eight operating rooms and specialized units in general surgery, cardiothoracic surgery, plastic surgery, neurosurgery, and microsurgery. Clínica El Bosque has a pharmacy and laboratories all of which are accredited by international agencies. The intensive care unit has 14 beds and the emergency department as a whole is equipped with modern devices to offer the excellent services of specialized doctors and nurses. The hospital has established a nonprofit teaching institution named the Forest Colombian School of Medicine. Phone: 1-2740577

Two Major Hospitals in Tashkent, Uzbekistan

Tashkent translates to the “stone city”. This city is the capital of Uzbekistan and one of the oldest cities in Central Asia. Tashkent has many mosques and religious sites and is often referred to as the cultural capital of the Islamic world. The city is modern, but maintains much of its heritage as well. The health care sector in Tashkent is in a developing phase and you have to look to major private hospitals for quality health care. This is a note on some of Tashkent’s leading hospitals.

Tashkent International Medical Clinic situated at 38, Sarikul Street is a famous hospital in the international community of Tashkent. A well-known chartered non-governmental organization in the country established this center in 1994. The clinic is specifically designed to provide medical service at global standards to the international community in Uzbekistan. The staff members of foreign embassies, international representatives, along with other expatriates and their families in Tashkent are regular visitors to this hospital. It provides good diagnostic and therapeutic service in fundamental medical specialties. It employs an internationally trained staff and all the hospital services are readily available in English and other languages.

The dental unit treats all types of dental, oral disease and facial injuries. They also have an orthodontist on staff. Complete vaccination programs are also available. The center offers many health promotion programs and packages including weight control, immunizations, antenatal and postnatal care. It has a modern emergency center that has physicians accredited by the U.S. in advanced life support. It also offers medical evacuations to members. It has a good pharmacy and laboratory. Additionally, the clinic possesses ECG, modern X-rays, Pulmonary function test, audiogram and ultrasound diagnostic facilities. Tel: 998 71 291 0142

MDS-Services hospital is another modern hospital and is situated on Botkin Street in Tashkent. This private hospital founded in 2004 offers effective medical service by employing many well-trained doctors. It has well equipped departments in all medical specialties. It has clinics for diabetes, infertility, epilepsy, allergy, obesity and more. The therapeutic department on the second floor has 12 beds. The language of service is Russian and Uzbek.

An operating unit featuring two operation theaters offers effective surgical service in all major areas. It is known for advanced video laparoscopy and endoscopy. It has a modern emergency department, ambulance services and an intensive care unit. Tel: 269-7085

Excellent Hospitals in Athens, Greece

Greece has hospitals that belong to both the private and the public sector. Athens also has a balance mix of both private and public hospitals that are well equipped to cater to any kind of medical issues. The public hospitals in Greece are managed and controlled by The National Health Service.

The Diagnostic and Therapeutic Centre of Athens, Hygeia has been functional since 1970.It is a private hospital founded by eminent Greek physicians to provide world class and modern care to its patients. The Hygeia Diagnostic and Therapeutic Center provides health and medical services throughout Greece and in some other countries too. There are 22 surgery clinics, 11 pathology clinics, 6 diagnostics centers, 8 rehabilitation centers and10 hospitals abroad.The hospital as an Organ Transplant Unit and an ICU that is equipped to deal with all kind of medical problems. The hospital also has ambulance services and their ICU is equipped with the requisite support and diagnostic facilities to ensure proper treatment to its patients. The hospital has the facility for Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT) to help fight blood diseases. It was the first hospital in Greece to introduce the concept of one day surgery.

Kyanous Stavros is a privately owned hospital and diagnostic centre. The centrally located hospital was set up in the year 1963 and is one of the finest hospitals in Athens. The hospital has the latest technology and is in the process of continually modernizing its operations and departments. It is a multidisciplinary hospital that has 24 hours emergency room that caters to the requirements of foreigners and tourists. There are ambulances services available that are equipped to provide safe and quick transportation throughout Greece if required. The hospital has a range of accommodation facilities to suit the requirements and pockets of a variety of patients. The hospital accepts the majority of insurance companies whether private or public. The hospital provides treatment to all the citizens who might approach it regardless of the fact whether they have insurance or not.

One of the prominent hospitals in Athens is the General Hospital of Attica KAT. The hospital with its modern medical and technological equipment and a well trained staff is a reliable health care centre. The hospital address is 2 Nikis street in Kifissia and it is easily accessible through the Electric Railway or the Underground Metro. The hospital has a pathology division, an orthopedics department that caters to all kinds of orthopedic problems, a general surgery division and also specialized surgeries department.

IASO General is a hospital with state of art facilities and services. The hospital has an ICU that is world class and is known to be amongst the best in the country. It has a Coronary Care Unit and was the first in the country to have a dedicated unit for diagnosis and treatment of heart ailments. IASO General is also equipped with an up-to-date accident and emergency department. There are 10 highly sophisticated surgical units and an angina pectoris unit in the hospital. It also has internal medicine, surgery and diagnostic divisions. The surgeries department has facilities for thoracic, plastic, cardiac, orthopedic and general surgeries. The address for the hospital is 264 Mesogeion Ave. 155 62 Holargos and the contact no is 210 650 2000.

Helena Venizelou founded Marika Eliadi Maternity Hospital in 1926. At that time there was an acute shortage for good hospitals and trained staff for maternal care in the city. The hospital was set up with an aim to provide advanced natal care not only to entire Athens but to the entire country. Now the hospital provides specialized maternity care and also other services that cover secondary and tertian health requirements. The hospital also has an internal medicine department, endocrinology department, cardiology department and a hepato-gastroenterology unit.

If you need medical help, the next time you are in Athens. Take a look at these facilities.